What are Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings are a very common form of dental treatment and are used to repair small or medium holes in teeth that have been caused by tooth decay or injury. The dental filling will also stop further decay and can save the affected tooth.
Fillings can be needed by adults and children. Children with decay in their baby teeth may need fillings to prevent toothaches and save the baby teeth. This is important not only for eating but also to hold the right amount of space for their adult teeth.
Your dentist will tell you if you need a filling, and will discuss options for your treatment.
Dental Filling Procedure
At Albany Place Dental Practice dental fillings usually involve the following stages:
- The patient is given a local anesthetic to make the tooth and gum numb.
- Once the anaesthetic is working the cavity is prepared for the filling by cleaning out the decay which may involve the use of a dental drill.
- When the cavity in the tooth is completely clear of decay and other matter, the filling is packed into the cavity and allowed to set. The filling is matched to the contour of your original tooth.
- Finally your dentist will check the bite of your teeth with the new dental filling in place.
How to Avoid Dental Fillings
Fillings are less likely to be needed by people who:
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Take good care of their teeth.
- Have their teeth regularly checked by a dentist; and
- Use mouth-guards to prevent sports injuries.